Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Happiness Project

The thing I love most about getting older: the wisdom that comes with age. I was eating dinner with friends last night and we were lamenting the fact that all of us were glad we were no longer 21. We also agreed though, that we were glad to have been 21 and had that period in our life and gained the life experience from it that brought us to where we are today.

Lately I've been trying to enhance that wisdom by trying to better myself, better my attitude about things, better how I treat those around me, and just be an all around global contributor. This brought me to a book called "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. A great, realistic and completely relateable look at that ultimate human goal of being happy. Reading this book led me to reevaluate the 30 Before 30 List I posted this summer. A few I've actually knocked off the list (or will knock off soon) so I thought I would update accordingly and update according to my own...Happiness Project.

30 Before 30
  1. Go to Ireland
  2. Go to a drive-in movie
  3. Girls weekend to San Diego
  4. Buy lunch for a homeless person
  5. Take the train by myself somewhere
  6. Go on a Buddhist retreat
  7. Have a spa day
  8. Do karaoke
  9. Go on a Rick Steve's tour
  10. Reread "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion
  11. Volunteer at a soup kitchen
  12. Stay in a nice hotel
  13. Get a pedicure
  14. Try Indian food
  15. Go back to New York
  16. Be more outgoing, even on days when I don't really feel like it
  17. Find a hobby I'm truly passionate about
  18. Save for/buy a new car
  19. Throw/host a party
  20. Start writing again (could tie in with #17)
  21. Buy myself a nice piece of jewelry
  22. Sit at a coffee house and read/write...just because
  23. Go to Pink's Hot Dogs
  24. Stand on the Santa Monica Pier
  25. Fall in love
  26. Get a raise
  27. Get a dog (pet) of my own
  28. Have the confidence to give a guy (stranger) my phone number
  29. Ride a horse again
  30. Paint a room on my own

No comments:

Post a Comment